The Willem de Kooning Academy, Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences (WdKA/RUAS), offers a variety of bachelor and master programmes in the field of visual culture, art, design, education in arts, and leisure management.
The curriculum of the Willem de Kooning Academy is founded in an interdisciplinary ethos through the Autonomous, Social and Commercial Practices. The Majors are the entry point of study for all Bachelor students; the Practices the interdisciplinary research contexts in the second half of the Bachelor programs; and the highly unique Stations (advanced workshops focused on Research through Making) complete the three pillars of the institute.
The Major Graphic Design is hiring a Lecturer or Senior Lecturer (level of appointment is based on previous experience) for a 1-2 day/week position with a focus on digital media. We are looking for a hybrid practitioner-teacher who is excited about the possibilities of project-based education, and who wants to grow as an educator. You should be interested in helping to envision the future of the major program, and of design education as a whole. The ability to work collaboratively is a must, as all of our education is team-based. Your digital media focus can take a variety of forms, engaging with anything from digital publishing to VR/AR/XR to motion graphics to creative coding. Primarily, you should be excited about questioning established norms through design, and be a proponent of critical new media literacy.
Duties will include
- Teaching, as a part of a team, in courses ranging from the first year to the fourth;
- Participating in the development of curriculum for the program;
- Participating in assessments, both in the context of classes you are teaching, and in stand-alone assessment moments such as annual competence-based assessments and graduation;
- Responding with flexibility to a workload that varies over the course of the academic year.
- A master-level degree in (graphic) design or a relevant program;
- A commitment to developing new forms of design education, and a desire to work with students across the bachelor Graphic Design program;
- An interest in project-based education and a willingness to participate in team teaching;
- Experience teaching post-secondary level education;
- EU/ECC work authorization;
- An excellent command of verbal and written English;
- An interest and practice based experience to teach in the interdisciplinary Practices is an advantage;
- Familiarity and an ability to engage with design communities in Rotterdam is a major asset.
We encourage applications from individuals who have a broad view of what graphic design can be, what forms it can take, and what tools it can use. The successful candidate will be an enthusiastic and thoughtful teacher who is interested in helping the Graphic Design major adapt to and drive change in the profession. The ideal candidate will have a desire to grow in the position and take an active role in the life of the program and is keen to develop their educational practice alongside an existing professional design practice.
Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences offers a temporary contract, from September 1, 2020 to August 31, 2021, with the possibility for extension into a permanent contract. The salary ranges from €2.769,32 to €4.892,31 gross per month (salary scale 10 or 11) for a full time employment, exclusive of additional 8% holiday pay and 8.3% end-of-year bonus. Secondary benefits include professional training opportunities and an attractive pension scheme.
All staff members of Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences must be able to submit a Certificate of Conduct (Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag, VOG) issued by the Dutch Minister of Justice and Security.
Informal enquiries about the position or the selection procedure can be directed to: V.L.B Coons via e-mail: email@example.com.
Deadline for applications: May 11, 2020
Please do not use this vacancy as an acquisition opportunity.