About the Willem de Kooning Academy
Willem de Kooning Academy Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences offers bachelor's and master's degree programs in the fields of visual culture, art, design, professional teaching and Leisure Management.
The professions for which the academy trains are the heart of the creative industry. The art courses play a dominant role in various knowledge domains such as communication & technology and art & social engagement.
These courses prepare you for a career in the cultural manufacturing industry: as an artist, as a designer, as a maker and performer, as a teacher, as a researcher or as an organizer. The education of the Willem de Kooning Academy is based on the independence of the students who work on projects in groups. In addition to substantive guidance by teachers, students can learn and apply skills in the Stations. The academy has several stations such as Material Station, Publication Station and Interaction Station.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, proactive and knowledgeable colleague for the job function of Instructor Interaction Station (interactive media) for 0,8 fte.
About the Interaction Station
In the Interaction Station we focus on a broad array of technologies; from programming, machine learning, and AI, to augmented and virtual reality, electronics, and real-time 3D.
We take an open and experimental approach to technology, acknowledging that the definition of interaction is constantly shifting. We like to experiment with new tools, technologies and hardware, and take a critical eye to developing technologies and how they can be appropriated for creative uses. We’re equally interested in how older technologies can be re-evaluated in contemporary contexts.
Most importantly when we think of interaction, it is not only between people and machines, but also interaction between people. To that end we have a number of instructors in the station to help students. The instructors in the Interaction Station come from a variety of backgrounds, with diverse sets of expertise. We’re here to help students develop their ideas into working projects providing individual consultation, station skills and lessons.
For the interaction station we are looking for an enthusiastic colleague who has professional experience in designing and realizing interactive productions. A curious colleague who can use this knowledge within the broad field of interactive media. He/she is interested in many different new forms of interactive media and is able to appropriate this knowledge and transfer it to third parties. The candidate is expected to take initiative and to be able to operate independently . He/she must be able to communicate well with colleagues and students. Affinity and experience with (art) education is an advantage. It is very important that this candidate can convert his knowledge into advice that contributes to the development of education within the Willem de Kooning Academy.
As an instructor you offer instructions in the field of interactive media. You guide students individually and in groups in realizing interactive media projects. You offer students, among other things:
- Appropriating technology and interfaces.
- Introducing current technology; such as arduino and raspberry PI.
- Translating more complex systems and technology to the level of the student
You also actively participate in a team of colleagues with whom you work within the station to create an inspiring working and learning environment.
To this end you will:
- maintain the various machines and tools of the station
- help keep software / presentation materials / documentation / tools up to date
- manage the workshops and premises
- support teachers
- develop instructional lessons
- You have demonstrable work experience in designing and realizing interactive media projects, including designing physical and screen-related interaction.
- You have demonstrable knowledge and skills in at least two of the following areas of interactive media development:
- Electronics & physical computing; You have basic knowledge of microcontrollers and sensors technologies;
- AR/VR: Projection mapping, Virtual Reality, Mobile Augmented Reality, Unity Game Engine, Unreal, haptics, mocap;
- AI/Machine Learning: StyleGANs, Object Recognition, Self Driving Cars, Chatbots, Linux;
- You have an affinity for open source tools and software;
- You have an affinity for art, design, and new media;
- You have knowledge of the latest techniques and developments in interactive media;
- You are experienced or have an affinity for education. You need to have an open personality;
- You are able to guide, coach and motivate students;
- You are proactive, innovative, collaborative and responsible;
- You have an education of at least HBO level;
- You are fluent in English, both written and spoken.
What we offer
The Willem de Kooning Academy/Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences (Hogeschool Rotterdam) offers you a temporary contract (D4), until December 31st 2021, with the possibility for extension. The salary range is HBO-CAO scale 9 (€ 2,845.48 minimum and € 3,920.50 maximum gross per month for full-time employment), exclusive of 8% holiday pay and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
Our fringe benefits include excellent training facilities and an attractive pension scheme.
All staff members of Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences must be able to submit a Certificate of Conduct (Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag, VOG) issued by the Dutch Minister of Justice and Security.
For more information about this job contact Brigit Lichtenegger, Coordinator Interaction Station, at email@example.com.
Interviews will take place in week 28.
Closing Date: August 29, 2021
Online applications only!
Please do not use this vacancy as an acquisition opportunity.