About the Willem de Kooning Academie
The Willem de Kooning Academy, Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences (WdKA/RUAS), offers a variety of bachelor and master’s programmes in the field of visual culture, art, design, education in arts, and leisure management.
The curriculum of the Willem de Kooning Academy is founded on an interdisciplinary ethos through the Autonomous, Social and Commercial Practices. The Majors are the entry point of study for all Bachelor students; the Practices of the interdisciplinary research contexts in the second half of the Bachelor programs; and the highly unique Stations (advanced workshops focused on Research through Making) complete the three pillars of the institute.
About the Interaction Station
In the Interaction Station we focus on a broad array of technologies; from programming, machine learning, and AI, to augmented and virtual reality, electronics, and real-time 3D.
We take an open and experimental approach to technology, acknowledging that the definition of interaction is constantly shifting. We like to experiment with new tools, technologies and hardware, and take a critical eye to developing technologies and how they can be appropriated for creative uses. We’re equally interested in how older technologies can be re-evaluated in contemporary contexts.
Most importantly when we think of interaction, it is not only between people and machines, but also interaction between people. To that end we have a number of instructors in the station to help students. The instructors in the Interaction Station come from a variety of backgrounds, with diverse sets of expertise. We’re here to help students develop their ideas into working projects providing individual consultation, station skills and lessons.
For the interaction station we are looking for an enthusiastic colleague who has professional experience in designing and realizing interactive productions. A curious colleague who can use this knowledge within the broad field of interactive media. He/she/they is interested in many different new forms of interactive media and is able to appropriate this knowledge and transfer it to students and teachers. The candidate is expected to take initiative and to be able to operate independently . He/she/they must be able to communicate well with colleagues and students. Affinity and experience with (art) education is an advantage. It is very important that this candidate can convert his knowledge into educational programs that contribute to the development of education within the Willem de Kooning Academy.
Tasks will include
As an instructor you offer instructions in the field of interactive media. You guide students individually and in groups in realizing interactive media projects. You offer students, among other things:
- Appropriating technology and interfaces.
- Introducing current technology; such as Arduino and Raspberry PI.
- Introducing interactive media installations using video, data, and TouchDesigner.
- Translating more complex systems and technology to the level of the student.
You also actively participate in a team of colleagues with whom you work within the station to create an inspiring working and learning environment.
To this end you will:
- maintain the various machines and tools of the station
- help keep software / presentation materials / documentation / tools up to date
- manage the workshops and premises
- support teachers
- develop instructional lessons
- You have demonstrable work experience in designing and realizing interactive media projects, including designing physical and screen-related interaction;
- You have demonstrable knowledge and skills in the following areas of interactive media development;
- Electronics & physical computing; You have basic knowledge of microcontrollers and sensors technologies;
- Immersive Interactive Media: Projection mapping, Video Installations, Immersive Sound;
- Knowledge and skills in the area of Extended Realities is a pre: Virtual Reality, Mobile Augmented Reality, Unity Game Engine, Unreal, haptics, mocap;
- Knowledge and skills in the area of AI/Machine Learning is a pre: StyleGANs, Object Recognition, Self Driving Cars, Chatbots, Linux;
- You have an affinity for open source tools and software;
- You have an affinity for art, design, and new media;
- You have knowledge of the latest techniques and developments in interactive media;
- You are experienced or have an affinity for education. You need to have an open personality;
- You are able to guide, coach and motivate students;
- You are proactive, innovative, collaborative and responsible;
- You have an education of at least HBO level;
- You are fluent in English, both written and spoken;
- EU/ECC work authorization.
Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences offers a temporary contract, from November 1, 2022 to October 30, 2023. The salary ranges from €3018,49 to €4158,87 gross per month (salary scale 9) for full-time employment, exclusive of additional 8% holiday pay and 8.3% end-of-year bonus. Secondary benefits include professional training opportunities and an attractive pension scheme.
All staff members of Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences must be able to submit a Certificate of Conduct (Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag, VOG) issued by the Dutch Minister of Justice and Security.
Everyone is welcome at Rotterdam University. We see diversity as a strength. An inclusive work environment is a prerequisite for us to create a good learning environment for our students. We believe that recognizable diversity in the composition of our teams is important. We therefore take this into account during the selection procedure.
WdKA likes to invest in motivated and well-trained employees. Working at WdKA means that you can use time and facilities (via unlimited access to our Stations) for professionalization.
You may avail of a Hogeschool Rotterdam discount on your healthcare via Achmea and participate in a solid pension scheme.
Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences works with a limited travel reimbursement (maximum of 20 km).
- Letter of motivation
The selection procedure will take place in two phases. A short list of applicants will be drawn based on CV, Letter of motivation and portfolio, followed by interviews.
For more information about this job contact Brigit Lichtenegger, Coordinator Interaction Station, at email@example.com.
Interviews will take place in week 35.
Deadline for applications: 22 August 2022
Please do not use this vacancy as an acquisition opportunity.