Position starts preferably before, but no later than, November 2022.
The Willem de Kooning Academy, Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences (WdKA/RUAS), offers a variety of bachelor and master programs in the field of visual culture, art, design, education in arts, and leisure management. The curriculum of the Willem de Kooning Academy is founded in an interdisciplinary ethos through the Autonomous, Social and Commercial Practices. The Majors are the entry point of study for all Bachelor students; the Practices introduce interdisciplinary research contexts in the second half of the Bachelor programs; and the highly unique Stations (advanced workshops focused on Research through Making) complete the three pillars of the institute.
The Commercial Practices is one of three interdisciplinary graduation profiles at the Willem de Kooning Academy. The main focus of the WdKA Commercial Practices is helping artists and designers materialize and contribute to alternative modes of organization and production based on strong ecological and cooperative/collaborative values. It seeks to help students to reflect on, experiment and engage with such alternatives while bringing the urgency of the climate crisis and climate justice to art and design education. The Practices invite students to critically reflect consumer activism, technosolutionism and the language of circularity and sustainability frequently found in today’s products and services.
To achieve this, the Commercial Practices students are trained to view the world in systems, where understanding our interdependence on each other is essential to question and bring change at both local and global levels within large-scale multi-, cross-, and trans-disciplinary collaborative and cooperative structures.
To teach our students to both recognize the aspects of the very large, and to engage with and modify the very small, we rely on three minors, that function as three lenses to allow the “zooming in and out” of these systems: Futures & Presence, Materials & Systems, and Contexts & Situatedness. Each lens provides a unique way of understanding the systems present in the world today, and create opportunities to make the necessary interventions, as well as to contribute to a future in which our decisions (and their long-term implications) are guided by alternative economic models in which the understandings of value is redefined based on social, cultural, and environmental criteria.
The position of the Practices Leader has two focus areas:
- leading the program from an organizational perspective, such as implementation of curriculum, teacher team development and task divisions.
- Continuously develop the knowledge and research base of this Practice in relation to research conducted by the Research Lecturer, researching tutors, developments in the field and partners.
Who are we looking for
We seek a practitioner engaged in both working with, and researching the themes and directions taken by the Commercial Practices profile. With the ability to translate this to educational programs with a sound didactical base.
- Master-level degree in the creative/cultural or related field or equivalent work/project portfolio.
- Teaching Experience (formal or informal) with a focus on transformative and experimental pedagogies.
- Experience working in the cultural sector and/or commercial or related fields in relation with the topics and themes of commercial practices.
- Fluency in verbal and written English (knowledge of Dutch is a plus).
- EU/ECC work authorization.
We warmly welcome applicants from underrepresented, minority, or non-conforming communities in the Willem de Kooning Academy/Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences. Our staff is diverse in terms of professional profiles and in terms of culture, gender, and ethnicity.
- You will take on the responsibility of leading and organizing all education that takes place in the context of Commercial Practices
- Foster an accountable educational environment of study for and with students and staff
- Represent and continuously contribute to WdKA’s core mission: to reinvent Art & Design Education
- Further develop and represent (internal and external) the Commercial Practices program & research focus
- Collaborate with other practice leaders and course leaders to ensure integration/conversation of the Commercial Practices curriculum with other learning trajectories at WdKA
- Chair the research lecturers to implement a through-line between the curriculum and focus areas coming from multi-annual research projects, fomenting active cooperation between the lector Commercial Practices, the research lecturers and teaching team
- Join and contribute to a team of WdKA teachers and researchers discussing and exchanging on topics related to WdKA Commercial Practices
- Leading, composing, inspiring and engaging the teaching team in institutional development
- Reporting to the WdKA's educational managers for quality assurance, reporting and further advancement
The team and the workplace
You will work closely with leaders for the other practices (Autonomous, Social) and collaborate with colleagues in the tutor and lifecycle teams. You will be working at our location on Blaak/Wijnhaven. The location is in the city center and close to the metro- and train station Blaak. The academy has approximately 2500 students and everything we do revolves around their educational needs and successes.
What we offer you
A temporary contract as a principal lecturer. The salary range is HBO-CAO grade 12 (€ 4.715,81 minimum and € 6.064,86 maximum per month based on full-time employment). A good work/private balance (45 days off per year with fulltime employment), 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% year-end bonus.
Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences works with a limited travel reimbursement (maximum of 20 km for a one-way trip).
WdKA likes to invest in motivated and well-trained employees. Working at WdKA means that you can use time and facilities (via unlimited access to our Stations) for professionalization. To further your pedagogical development, you will be encouraged to undertake pedagogical courses i.e. BKE (Basis Kwalificatie Examinering) and Competency Assessment Course. You may utilize a Hogeschool Rotterdam discount on your healthcare via Achmea and participate in a solid pension scheme.
All staff members of Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences must be able to submit a Certificate of Conduct (Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag, VOG) issued by the Dutch Minister of Justice and Security.
LocatieHier zijn we te vinden
- Motivation letter explaining your interest in the Commercial Practices and WdKA. Include a research perspective related to the research focus of Commercial Practices and your teaching philosophy and how this relates to your practice.
- Link to portfolio of work
- All documents should be written in English.
The selection procedure will take place in two phases. A short list of applicants will be drawn based on CV, letter of motivation and portfolio, followed by interviews.
Closing date: August 31, 2022
Acquisition in response to this vacancy is not appreciated.